The RDW blood test measures how red blood cells change in size and volume. This test is part of
a more extensive Complete Blood Count (CBC). The RDW test is usually used to help diagnose
anemia, a condition in which red blood cells are unable to carry enough oxygen to the rest of
the body. The RDW test can also be performed to diagnose other conditions, including -
- Iron deficiency
- Different types of anemia
- Sickle cell anemia
A high RDW result may indicates other conditions, such as:
- Chronic liver disease
- Heart disease
- Kidney disease
Why does someone need to be screened for red blood cells?
People having symptoms, such as
- Pale skin
- Rapid heartbeat
- Cold hands and feet
- Shortness of breath
Doctors can also review the RDW test through a CBC if you have:
- signs of anemia, such as dizziness, pale skin and numbness.
- a deficiency in iron or vitamins.
- family history of a blood condition, such as sickle cell disease.
- severe blood loss as a result of surgery or trauma.
- a condition affecting the red blood cells has been diagnosed.
- a chronic condition, such as HIV/AIDS.
What do the results mean?
- High results - an indication of a deficiency in iron, folate, or vitamin B-12
- Normal results - it indicates a blood disorder in which the bone marrow does not
generate enough blood cells, including red blood cells
- Low results - If the result is low, there is no hematological disorder associated with a low
This helps to minimize RDW.
- Eat a balanced diet
- Stop or quit smoking
- Avoiding alcohol
- Get enough sleep
- Exercise regularly
Pathology services play a significant role in the diagnosis and deciding the treatment of a
disease. That's why, at Unipath, we work day in and out to ensure quality reports and superior
customer experience. Unipath offers a comprehensive range of clinical laboratory tests for
prognosis, early detection, diagnosis, and monitoring of diseases, and boasts of state-of-the-art
equipment that has been designed to provide quality reports as quickly as possible.
Unipath simplifies the struggle of standing in queue for health check ups by collecting home
To book the test, please contact us at +91(79) 49006800 or visit www.unipath.in