D-dimer test detects the protein fragments that are produced when blood clots get dissolved in the body. The D-dimer test helps to rule out the presence of thrombus, which can be a sign of Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT), Pulmonary Embolism (PE), and Stroke. The D-dimer test is also helpful in determining if the patient needs more tests for other conditions that have to do with excessive clotting.
Why is this test done?
This test helps to diagnose the followings -
- The first reason is to rule out the presence of DVT or Deep vein thrombosis. A deep vein thrombosis occurs when a blood clot forms in a vein. It can also affect other parts of the body. It can be caused by various factors.
- The second reason is to diagnose PE or Pulmonary embolism. A blood clot in the lungs is known as pulmonary embolism. It occurs when a blood flow from a certain part of the body gets dislodged. It can then enter other organs. Another common cause of this condition is deep vein thrombosis.
- The third reason is to detect DIC or Disseminated intravascular coagulation. Disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC) is a condition that results from the accumulation of blood clots throughout the body. This can cause an increase in clotting in vessels, problems moving around the body or infections. It is often caused by traumatic injuries.
- The fourth reason is to diagnose stroke.
When does a physician suggest this test?
This test can be performed to check for the presence of blood clotting disorders and symptoms of DVT and PE.
Symptoms of DVT
Symptoms of PE
- Throbbing or cramping pain
- Warm skin around the painful area
- Red or darkened skin around the painful area
- Swollen veins
- Shortness of breathing
- Irregular heartbeat
- Excessive sweating
- A "negative" D-dimer result means that the person being tested does not have a condition or disease that causes the abnormal clot formation.
- A "positive" D-Dimer result may indicate that there may be a significant blood clot by detecting the presence of high levels of fibrin degradation products.
Considering the comfort of our patients, Unipath laboratory provides home sample collection for D-Dimer. These have the advantage of lowering your own anxiety levels. The technician will collect the sample and will deliver the result through hard copy or soft copy.
To book the test, please contact us at +91(79) 49006800 or visit https://www.unipath.in/